Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's been fun, Berlin.

This is our last night in Berlin, and we are currently sitting in the lobby of our HOTEL, (not hostel) abusing the free wifi. After the pub crawl last night we needed an easy night tonight; German hangovers aren't any easier. Last night was a blast, I had so much fun getting to know people from all parts of the world. We went to some "pubby" bars, and then ended the night at a rave-ish club, not really my style but I made it a point to request some Deadmau5, a problem I seem to have after a few drinks- no matter what country I am in.

At the time I would have said it was bad luck, now I am super thankful for the "inconvenience". When we booked our hostels for Berlin, we couldn't find a single reservation for any hostel on Saturday (today). There happens to be a big soccer game going on here in Berlin, so the town is flooded with blue jersey, beer in hand, rowdy fans- and the reason for not being able to book a hostel. Our next option was a hotel, in a different part of town, it has been SOO nice to have our own bathroom, not worry about keeping our belongings tidy and together, and it has an extra clean feeling. I am planning on taking this hotel with me, never have I been so appreciative of a little hotel.

We didn't have as long of a day as we did yesterday, we got a little late start due to excessive amounts of fun we had last night. We did manage to see a lot of the things that we wanted to either re-visit or hadn't been to yesterday. The walking tour was a great way to get a general feel for the city, and then go back to the places that really peaked our interest. Hailey has been designated head of navigation since I can be somewhat directionally challenged. Thanks to her amazing skills, we had no problem navigating our way around the city, u-bauhn, s-bauhn, busses - you would think we were locals by the way we were getting around. We started off at Checkpoint Charlie, where we had McDonalds, fitting and delicious. We joked about how our Oma would probably kill us for picking to eat there instead of enjoying some German cuisine, we know it probably wasn't the smartest move but it definitely improved our moods. Next on our list was the Topography of Terror museum, which is right underneath the best preserved part of the Berlin Wall, something I was looking forward to. We spent the rest of the day walking around and entering in some free museums in the area, ending back at the Berlin Dom. It has become a favorite of ours and a perfect place to rest while still being touristy. It has to be one of the most beautiful buildings I have laid eyes on, and it has a fountain which is great to soak our feet in after the 342 miles we have walked. (Yes, that is accurate.) I really wish a massage was in the budget, or my feet would decide to man up a little.

Hailey and I infront of the Berlin Wall.

Berlin Wall.

The Dom we lounged in front of. Gorgeous, right?



Berlin has been an amazing city, and while I am sad to say goodbye- I know I will be back.

Tomorrow we head off super early for 8 hours of train rides, and get to meet some of my family in Holland!!

-Margo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment