When we arrived in Holland, we were picked up by my Great Aunt Marga to meet some of my - physically speaking- distant Dutch family. We had dinner and I got to meet my Mother's cousins (my second cousins) and their kids (if I am thinking correctly, it makes them my second cousins once removed) The youngest daughter is also named Margo, is 14 and about a foot taller than I am. In fact, the whole family is tall, incredibly tall- I obviously didn't get my height from my Mother's side. It was an incredible experience to have dinner with my family, and connect with my Dutch roots, I just wish my Mom could have been there too.
The following day, Tineke took Hailey and I down to the coast where we walked around the beach and the boardwalk. It was SOO windy, and quite cold. We then went to Delft, a city I have heard my Mom talk about many times. It was a very quaint very Dutch feeling town, and Hailey and I spent the afternoon walking around taking it all in.
Then we were off on a train to Amsterdam...
I don't think I am a huge fan of Amsterdam. It might be that our Hostel is impossible to actually sleep in making me grumpy, or that it constantly smells like a certain herb. I was hoping that since today was our first actual DAY here it would change my opinion, it did. Since there are more bikes than people in this town we decided it was more than appropriate to rent bikes to sightsee. Since we also didn't know much about the history of the town we decided to go on a bike tour. First, we went off on our own -which was quite a show since there are just as many rules biking as driving- and we headed off to Anne Frank's house. It was a tour of the actual house that she and her family were in during hiding, very interesting. (I took illegal pictures that will be posted to Facebook later. Have to get a little crazy in Amsterdam, right??)
(video is coming, I got impatient with the wifi.)
Our bike adventure leaving the Anne Frank Museum
Then we headed off on the biking tour where we learned some rules of the biking road, and toured some of Amsterdam's more famous sights.
I am Amsterdam, or M is for Margo. :)
We finished the day with a trip to Vondel Park, where we enjoyed the sun and relaxed for a bit before heading back to the hostel.
(video is coming, I got impatient with the wifi.)
Bike ride through Vondel Park.
Tomorrow, off to Paris!!!
-Margo :)

No comments:
Post a Comment