Friday, May 20, 2011

I am officially a backpacker.

After an insanely long flight included with a screaming baby for majority of it making it seem that much longer, we made it to Frankfurt. Once we strapped our on our backpacks we made it to the train station found the correct train and headed off to Berlin. Since we didn't manage to sleep on the plane we both managed to get an hour or so snooze on the train, good news for our future overnight train rides. 

Once arriving in Berlin, we walked to our Hostel and dropped off our bags, if it were up to me I would have crawled right into that tiny little bunk and been finished for the evening (or actually afternoon) but we forced ourselves to stay up so we could be jet-lag free today (Friday). We took the train over to Museum Island, and went to an Ancient European and Egyptian exhibit. Had ourselves a weinerschnitzel for a pre-dinner snack. (I am sure I spelled that wrong but for lack of times sake I am not google-ing it.) Then my favorite part of the entire day, the nap we took on the grass facing the Berlin Dom. (see Hailey's blog for pictures) It was absolutely gorgeous, even with my eyes closed. I would have stayed there through nightfall but Hailey made me get up for dinner. 

Hostel life has been an adjustment, Hailey and I were more than courteous when we were getting settled in after our roommates were already in bed. They were anything but courteous at 6:00 this morning as it took them two hours to get their tiny suitcase packed up to leave, needless to say we had an early start. Today was eventful, we joined a free walking tour in which the entire city was explained to us in serious detail, most I sadly don't remember- I will have to bring a tape recorder next trip. Next on the agenda for us is a bar crawl, with the same company as the walking tour. (It's safe, Mom) Also joining in on the tour are a couple Canadians we met earlier today. Note to Mom: One of those a girl, who is backpacking for four months, by herself. Be glad she isn't your daughter. Well our designated internet time is up, off to have some dinner and a German beer(s). :)

-again, check out Hailey's Blog she has pictures from our trip so far up!! 


-Margo

3 comments:

  1. When in Amsterdam,try to see the Van Gogh museum. After seeing so many sites and museums his stood out for a life time. Pics of the Dutch family please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See the Canadian pins have brought you good luck already, eh? Just don't forget to say "eh" at the end of statements! or ? Home computer down tell Tues/Wed. maybe sooner. From Dudly: G-Mom is spoiling me! I get carrots as a treat, thanks for telling her. But I think she gets annoyed that I beg. I am going to try to improve. Wuf, luv you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you spelled Dudley's name wrong. Silly.

    ReplyDelete